Lunch with the Counselors: Registration Information Session 2/20/2020
Announcment: Slides and information from our 2020 Parent University Registration Sessions with Updates and Course Additions for 2020-2021 are embedded below!!
We have also updated our schedule change procedures! That information is below as well!
Our Course Registration for the 2020-2021 School Year will take place from
February 24th-March 20th
- February 24th--BJHS Students will Receive Registration Packets (CHOOSE COURSES WISELY). See schedule change procedures below.
- February 24th-March 13th--Parents can call to schedule appointments to meet with counselors (20 min appointments)
- BJHS: Rising grades 10th-12th--Mrs. Jennifer Reed (256)772-2547 ext. 80366
- DMS: Rising 9th grade--Mrs. Kelly Moody (A-L) (256)837-3735 ext. 82126
- DMS: Rising 9th grade--Mr. Tim VanDorn (M-Z) (256)837-3735 ext. 82127
- March 4th--Patriot Expedition for Discovery Students (Rising Freshmen)
- March 11th--BJHS Curriculum Night (5 p.m.-7 p.m.)
- March 9th-13th-- BJHS students enter course requests in INOW and complete course request form located in registration packet
- (Students can log into their INOW account, and click on "requests" to the left to enter their course requests.)
- March 16th-20th--DMS rising 9th grade students use INOW to enter course requests at school and turn in registration forms to Mrs. Moody and Mr. VanDorn at DMS.
- March 20th--LAST DAY for registration packets AND changes.
Please see below for information provided at our Parent University Registration 2020 Session! Below that is information regarding schedule change procedures!! Check that out as well:).
SCHEDULE CHANGE GUIDELINES & COURSE SELECTION
Selecting courses is one of the most important tasks students and parents can do. Proper course selection allows students to meet graduation requirements, explore possible career interests, prepare for post-secondary education opportunities and engage in activities he/she enjoys doing. Course selection is vital to the school as well, as our schedule for the next school year is built on the choices our students make now. Teaching assignments and teacher selection are based on the needs of our schedule.
To make all of these different pieces work together, it is imperative students make the right choices now. The school’s role in course selection will be to confirm with the student his/her choices, and verify the courses selected are indeed wanted or needed by the student. Once this is complete in the spring, schedule changes will be limited. Students will be expected to stay in the courses they choose.
Changes will be made based on misplacement, a desire to take a more challenging course or an extreme change in circumstances. Simply changing one’s mind after the schedule is built, or believing a course is “too hard” are not valid reasons to change classes. Therefore, we expect students and parents to choose next year’s schedule wisely. The counseling office and administration are here to assist in any way possible. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
After the registration deadline, to make schedule changes the following are the only reasons to change will be considered:
- You have an "EMPTY" spot in your schedule.
- You are missing a core class (English, Math, Science, History).
- You are missing a course or courses needed to meet graduation requirements.
- You’ve already taken that course and passed.
- Athletic PE or Band was left off your schedule, etc.
Example reasons of why a schedule change WILL NOT be considered:
- You'd like a specific teacher
- You want to have your classes at specific times or in a specific order
- You requested a class, and now you no longer to want to take it
- You don't like the teacher
- You want to be in a class with a friend, etc.
AP & Honors Courses:
- Once selected, AP and Honors courses cannot be dropped without administrator approval (choose wisely).
We take a lot of time to develop our master schedule and balance classes to accommodate you based on the selections you make in the spring, so PLEASE choose wisely. Look at the course descriptions and schedule an appointment with your counselor if needed.