Our Course Registration for the 2021-2022 School Year
March 29-April 16
- March 29--BJHS Students will Receive Registration Packets (CHOOSE COURSES WISELY). See schedule change procedures below.
- March 29 - April 16--Parents can call to schedule appointments to meet with counselors (20 min appointments)
- BJHS: Rising grades 10th-12th--Mrs. Jennifer Reed (256)772-2547 ext. 80366
- DMS: Rising 9th grade--Mrs. Kelly Moody (A-L) (256)837-3735 ext. 82126
- DMS: Rising 9th grade--Mr. Tim VanDorn (M-Z) (256)837-3735 ext. 82127
- April 5--Virtual Patriot Expedition for Discovery Students (Rising Freshmen)/Curriculum Night (released on website)
- April 12-16-- BJHS students enter course requests in PowerSchool and complete course request form located in registration packet
- April 21-23--DMS rising 9th grade students use PowerSchool to enter course requests at school and turn in registration forms to Mrs. Moody and Mr. VanDorn at DMS.
- April 16--LAST DAY for registration packets AND changes.
Please see below for our virtual Parent University Registration 2021 Session! Below that is information regarding schedule change procedures!! Check that out as well:).
SCHEDULE CHANGE GUIDELINES & COURSE SELECTION
Selecting courses is one of the most important tasks students and parents can do. Proper course selection allows students to meet graduation requirements, explore possible career interests, prepare for post-secondary education opportunities and engage in activities he/she enjoys doing. Course selection is vital to the school as well, as our schedule for the next school year is built on the choices our students make now. Teaching assignments and teacher selection are based on the needs of our schedule.
To make all of these different pieces work together, it is imperative students make the right choices now. The school’s role in course selection will be to confirm with the student his/her choices, and verify the courses selected are indeed wanted or needed by the student. Once this is complete in the spring, schedule changes will be limited. Students will be expected to stay in the courses they choose.
Changes will be made based on misplacement, a desire to take a more challenging course or an extreme change in circumstances. Simply changing one’s mind after the schedule is built, or believing a course is “too hard” are not valid reasons to change classes. Therefore, we expect students and parents to choose next year’s schedule wisely. The counseling office and administration are here to assist in any way possible. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us.
After the registration deadline, to make schedule changes the following are the only reasons to change will be considered:
- You have an "EMPTY" spot in your schedule.
- You are missing a core class (English, Math, Science, History).
- You are missing a course or courses needed to meet graduation requirements.
- You’ve already taken that course and passed.
- Athletic PE or Band was left off your schedule, etc.
Example reasons of why a schedule change WILL NOT be considered:
- You'd like a specific teacher
- You want to have your classes at specific times or in a specific order
- You requested a class, and now you no longer to want to take it
- You don't like the teacher
- You want to be in a class with a friend, etc.
AP & Honors Courses:
- Once selected, AP and Honors courses cannot be dropped without administrator approval (choose wisely).
We take a lot of time to develop our master schedule and balance classes to accommodate you based on the selections you make in the spring, so PLEASE choose wisely. Look at the course descriptions and schedule an appointment with your counselor if needed.