•  

    Course Description:

    Math 7 is based on the Alabama College and Career Ready Standards for 7th grade. Content standards are organized into five domains: Ratios and Proportional Relationships, The Number System, Expressions and Equations, Geometry, and Statistics and Probability. Students gain a deeper understanding of math concepts by narrowing their focus to fewer topics. They master content through reasoning opportunities and engaging activities providing a deeper understanding. Students successfully completing this course will be ready for Math 8. Madison City Schools implements a mastery approach for this course meaning students are expected to demonstrate at least 75% on each indicator. 

       

    Course Objectives:

    To successfully master the skills outlined in the Alabama 7th Grade Math Course of Study.  Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for Math 8. 

       

    Classroom Expectations:

     

    Expectations:

    1. Be in your seat when the tardy bell rings.
    2. Bring any and all texts, homework, and working materials with you.
    3. Be kind and respectful!
    4. Save off topic request and sharing for after instruction time.
    5. Take time to reflect when answering.

    Virtual Expectations:

         *The above expectations are still applicable in the virtual setting, plus the
          following:

          1.  Enter with the microphone muted at all times unless during designated question
              time.

          2.  Video is optional but encouraged.  If video is on, please be in school appropriate
                attire, no background noises, or distractions.      

          3.  Chat must be content questions only.  No random conversations!

          

    Possible Consequences:

    1. Conference with the student
    2. Parent contact – by phone or email
    3. Detention for tardies
    4. Parent Conference
    5. Administrative Referral 

    Accommodations:
    Requests for accommodations for this course or any school event are welcome from students and parents.


    Concerning laptop utilization:

    1. Student laptops should not be hard wired to the network or have print capabilities.

    2. Use of discs, flash drives, jump drives, or other USB devices will not be allowed on Madison City computers.

    3. Neither the teacher, nor the school is responsible for broken, stolen, or lost laptops.  

    4. Laptops and other electronic devices will be used at the individual discretion of the teacher.  

     
     

    Grading Policy:

    Test grades will account for 60% of the 9-weeks grade, with the remaining 40% being determined by quizzes and performance tasks.  The grading scale is as follows: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (65-69), and F (below 65). Grades will be a reflection of mastery of the standards.  Make sure all absences are excused as class work can be made up and graded for excused absences only. The office must receive a note from your child within 3 days of absence for the absence to be eligible to be excused.

       

    Make-up Test Policy:

    It is a student’s responsibility to meet with their teacher upon returning from an absence to discuss any make-up work and to schedule a time to make up any missed tests.

       

    Textbook:

    Big Ideas Math Accelerated (Red Book)

    Online access:  https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?level=8.50

       

    Materials and Supplies Needed:

    1. Notebook/Binder – Student preference
    2. Loose-leaf paper
    3. Loose-leaf graph paper
    4. Pencils
    5. Bring to class daily the following items:
      1. Highlighters
      2. Colored Pencils
      3. Scissors
      4. Expo Markers
      5. Glue Sticks
    6. Calculator

      

    Course Outline:

    Unit 1:  Integers

    Unit 2: Rational Numbers

    Unit 3: Expressions and One-Step Equations

    Unit 4: Two-Step Equations and Inequalities

    Unit 5: Proportionality

    Unit 6: Percents

    Unit 7: Angles, Triangles, and Polygons

    Unit 8: Surface Area and Circles

    Unit 9: Probability

    Unit 10: Volume and Cross Sections

    Unit 11: Statistics

    Unit 12: Similarity