Thank you for your interest in Competitive Chess Team!
*Our Goal : Our primary goal with this team is to provide a quiet atmosphere under watchful eyes of chess coaches to further a student's understanding of his or her chess skills through lessons and practice, both on chesskids and with other students. Members of Chess Team should be tournament ready and we expect the members of this club to participate in most of the school approved tournaments.
*Code of conduct-
Thursday afternoons from 4:15-5:15 PM in the library (starts August 22).
1. Pickup policy- Students need to be promptly picked up at the end of practice; after 2 warnings he/she loses membership.
2. Discipline policy - a warning, email to parent. If unruly behavior persists that will lead to removal from the team without refund of any kind.
1. Active USCF membership.
2. Active MCCL Family membership.
3. Active ACF membership.
4. Every member should have the green team shirt. Shirt from last year is acceptable.
5. Participation in at least three (3) local tournaments, including Winter Knights (CES), NATS (RES), and State (BJHS).
6. Parent(s) contribute a total of six (6) volunteer hours per year during Winter Knights or other chess event.
Columbia is very proud to host Winter Knights Tournament this year in early January! We cannot do this without the help of our awesome chess parents. We hope you will be there in some capacity to carry out this task successfully. Volunteerism creates a positive impact on your students mind.
*If you are interested in Competetion Chess Team, please fill out the application form and return to Ms. Winona Wilson*
*The following are opportunities for playing chess in Madison.
Play chess for free on Monday nights:
Private chess Instructors available:
*If you have any questions, please email the teacher sponsor Winona Wilson