Madison City Schools COVID-19 Procedures for the 2022-2023 School Year
Positive Covid-19 Case:
- The positive individual will stay home and be excluded from school and school activities for a minimum of 5 days from the start of symptoms or from the date of positive test if asymptomatic. (1st day of symptoms is day 0).
- The positive individual may return on day 6, if they have been free of fever, vomiting, diarrhea for a full 24 hrs without medication to reduce symptoms and other symptoms have improved. Masks should be worn around others day 6-10. Individuals with a disruptive cough may not be at school.
- Please contact your school nurse to report a positive Covid-19 test
A COVID-19 positive test result will be excused as a "doctor's note" only with:- documentation of the positive test from a healthcare provider or test center- a picture of the home test with the student's name and date clearly written on the test
- All other COVID-19 related absences will be considered a "Parent Note".
Exposure to Covid-19 Case:
- Madison City Schools will not require quarantine/exclusion following an exposure to a positive case of Covid-19. However, you may receive a call from the Alabama Department of PublicHealth (ADPH)
- Exposed individuals, who become symptomatic, must isolate immediately and contact a health care provider for further instructions.
- Exposure letters will only be sent to entire classes, buses, or extracurricular activities when an outbreak as defined by ADPH of Covid-19 has been identified in a cohort (3 or more positive cases in the last 10 days)
- Cleaning and Disinfecting across all affected areas will continue when a positive case of Covid-19 has been identified.
- A parent or guardian may still elect to keep their child home as a result of an exposure. A parent note will need to be written to cover these absences.
- Staff or students reporting to the school nurse with symptoms of fever 100° or greater, vomiting, or diarrhea will be excluded from school and school activities until 24 hrs symptom-free without medication to reduce symptoms.
- The school nurse may send home a symptomatic individual requiring clearance from a healthcare provider to return to work or school if Covid-19 is suspected
- If new, loss of taste or smell is reported, that individual will require either evaluation from a health care provider or remain home for a minimum of 5 days.
Masks in Schools:
- Masks will not be required on school campuses, buildings, on buses, or any school-sponsored event or activity.
- Masks will remain optional with a limited number of masks available from the school nurse.
The Superintendent may amend these procedures as necessary per Madison City School Board Policy 4.13