Title III is a part of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 (ESEA), as amended by the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA). The purpose of Title III is to help ensure that English learners (ELs) attain English language proficiency and meet state academic standards.
ENGLISH LEARNER SCHOOL RE-ENTRY PARENT GUIDE
Many of our Madison City Schools English Learner (EL) students and their parents or guardians have questions about how our district will teach and support our EL students during COVID pandemic and school re-entry. This parent guide offers basic answers on how our staff will continue quality instruction, language development, and support to fulfill the Title III responsibilities while considering safety guidelines and recommendations. Information in this guide is subject to change based on the changes in the pandemic guidance, school re-entry plans as well as state and district leadership decisions in the best interest and safety of our students. Click here to view the English Learner School Re-entry Parent Guide.
Please note that the details for the EL insturction guidelines for the school re-entry are embedded in the district Teaching and Learning section and Learning Expectations section of the district Re-entry Plan and addenda that can be found on the district website.
ENGLISH LEARNER PARENT COMMUNICATION AND TRNSLATION TOOLS
When parents receive communication from Madison City Schools in English, they may use the tools below to help them understand the information. If these tools do not meet the parents’ needs, they are encouraged to contact their child’s classroom teacher or the school English Learner (EL) teacher.
Parent Translation Tools:
- MCS website translation (see screenshot below)
- Google Translate app or website. Use the app camera for live document translation (including translating info from your phone, iPad, or computer monitor); use voice or conversation to speak to others using your language
- Google Docs - Tools/Translate Document option. Use this video tutorial for parents and students to learn how to use Google Docs translation feature.
- Youtube Autotranslate option. Use this tutorial to learn how to use closed captioning feature translate into your native language for YouTube videos (open video, click CC, then click Settings/Subtitles-CC/Autotranslate and select your language)
- Talking Points texting/communication app. Your child's teacher will contact you to invite you to use the Talking Points tool for parent-teacher communication.
- Additional district- approved language services for I-ELP meetings or other essential communication. Contact your child’s teacher or school EL teacher, if you need help with this option.
Additional district- approved language services for I-ELP meetings or other essential communication. Contact your child’s teacher or school EL teacher, if you need help with this option.