School Guidance Counselors Help...
* Promote positive attitudes among students towards self, family, peers and community.
* Assist students in learning how school performance relates to future opportunities.
* Develop and deliver classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as decision making, resolving conflict and respecting others.
* Work with students, parents and school staff to identify learning needs and to design interventions to enhance student success.
* Help students to recognize and make the best of their abilities.
* Provide support during a personal crisis.
* Work with students on attendance issues.*Develop student career awareness.* Helping to create a safe and positive learning experience.
Elementary School Counselors Collaborate with:
College/career awareness programs
One-on-one parent conferencing
Interpretation of assessment results
Classroom guidance activities
Academic support, including learning style assessment and education to help students succeed academically
At-risk student identification and implementation of interventions to enhance success
Behavioral management plans
School-wide needs assessments
Student data and results
Student assistance team building
Job shadowing, service learning
**These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive**