The mission of the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education is to inspire, support, and deliver cohesive, comprehensive systems of high quality education and care so that all Alabama children thrive and learn.
First Class: Alabama's Voluntary Pre-K is part of the Office of School Readiness. First Class Pre-K provides effective, high quality early childhood experiences that prepare Alabama's children for school success and lifelong learning.
Office of School Readiness defines school readiness as a condition whereby children enter school with:
• an enthusiasm for learning,
• an ability to function in a a social setting,
• age-appropriate communication and problem solving skills,
• age-appropriate physical and emotional skills, and
• optimal health.
Why High-Quality Pre-Kindergarten? Numerous studies have shown that students who have participated in high-quality pre-kindergarten programs:
• are less likely to repeat a grade, require remedial education, or be placed in special education,
• score higher on achievement tests,
• are more likely to graduate from high-school and go on to college
• get higher paying salaries as adults, and
• are more likely to stay out of prison and off welfare
For more information visit the Alabama Department of Early Childhood Education