2019-2020 Rainbow Chess Team
Rainbow Elementary offers many opportunities for all students Kindergarten - Fifth grade to enjoy Chess! Our Kindergarten Chess Club introduces the game with Learn to Play classes. As this group develops it transitons into a competive team by year end. We have three leveled competitive teams: Beginning, Intermediate, and Advanced. For our non-competitive students we offer a Recreational Chess Club for Grades 1-5. Most kids start off playing recreational chess for one year before trying Beginning Competition Chess.
December Chess Puzzle Contest Results
Congratulations to all of our students who solved puzzles over the holiday break. The Rainbow King of Puzzles was Sawyer Wright, the Prince of Puzzles was Tyce Crosswy, and the Queen of Puzzles was Emerson Phillips. Each week's grade-level leaderboards are published below.
Upcoming Tournaments in North Alabama
- Winter Knights - Saturday Jan 18, 2020 at Columbia Elementary
- Rookie Rally - Saturday Feb. 1, 2020 at Blossomwood Elementary (Huntsville)
- Winter Blitz - Sunday Feb. 9, 2020 at Rainbow Elementary
- Madison City Kindergarten Tournament - Sunday Feb. 9, 2020 at Rainbow Elementary
- All Girls State Chess Championship - Saturday Feb. 22, 2020 at Liberty Middle School
- City Chess Championship - Saturday March 7, 2020 at James Clemens HS (only the middle and high school students start their first round Friday evening because their games have a longer time control).
- State Scholastic Chess Championship - Saturday March 21 (Individual event) and Sunday March 22 (Team event) at Bob Jones HS
Register for Chess Club or Chess Team
Registration for Recreation Chess Club has closed. Beginning Competition Team registration is still being accepted.
RECREATION CHESS CLUB for grades 1-5 will meet on Tuesdays after school from 2:40-3:45 p.m. after Labor Day. First meeting Tuesday Sept. 17th.
COMPETITION CHESS TEAM has 3 groups. Students are assigned by coaches based on age and experience level:
- Beginning Competition - Wednesdays after school until 4 p.m. starting 8/14/19.
- Intermediate Competition - Wednesdays after school until 4 p.m. starting 8/7/19.
- Advanced Competition - Mondays after school until 4:30 p.m. starting 8/12/19.
Kindergarten Chess Club
Rainbow Elementary teaches kindergarten students how to play chess in school and then teachers invite students to join Kindergarten Chess Club in the fall. Kinder Chess Club meets on Tuesdays after school until 3:45 p.m. after Labor Day. Most kids join chess club in the 1st grade and play recreationally for a year before trying competitive chess. Some want to start playing in tournaments in Kindergarten. Kinder Chess is designed for students who will compete starting in the fall. Kinder Chess Club members will compete in the following tournaments:
- Nov. 2 - Rainbow Kindergarten practice tournament (9 a.m.-noon)
- Feb. 9th - Madison City Kindergarten Tournament (RES)
- March 7 - City Chess Championship (JCHS)
- May 8-10 - National Elementary (Nashville)