Horizon Elementary School's Library Media program invites our students to become life-long readers and active learners. Our welcoming atmosphere and student friendly environment encourages children to develop a love of reading and learning. The media center is an extension of the classroom where we extend and enrich the learning experiences of our students by providing access to 21st century learning tools.
- Over 15,000 books
- Reference Material
- Picture Books
- Non-Fiction Books
- Playaway/digital audio books
- Books with CD
- 18 student computers with internet access
Media Center Program
- The Media Center is open daily from 7:50 A.M. - 2:30 P.M.
- The Horizon Elementary School Library Media Center is operated for the benefit of all students. We strive to support learning, develop information skills, and promote literature.
- All teachers are encouraged to bring their classes to the media center for lessons on an "as needed" basis.
- Cooperative teaching strategies are used.
- Flexible scheduling is used for all classes.
- The media center is open daily for students to visit individually or in small groups for research, book check-out, centers and computer use at teacher discretion
Vision of the Library Media Program
In collaboration with Horizon’s learning community, our library media program will be the center of teaching and learning by providing access to quality collections and technologies and by extending services beyond the library media center’s four walls and the school day.
Mission of the Library Media Program
Alabama’s School Library Media Plan for the 21st Century Learner expresses the mission of Alabama’s library media programs as supporting the school’s instructional program to improve student learning and student achievement.This mission is accomplished by:
- Ensuring learners will be able to independently inquire, think critically, and gain, create, and share knowledge.
- Providing the real and virtual access to appropriate, high-quality resources and services during and outside the school day.
- Participating in curriculum development and design of learning activities.