6TH GRADE HONORS MATH
Discovery Middle School
1304 Hughes Road
Madison, AL 35758
Honors Math 6 is based on the Alabama College and Career Ready Standards for 6th and 7th grade. Students will be taught the 6th grade math standards and part of the 7th grade math standards at an accelerated rate. Concepts will include, but are not limited to, absolute value, rational numbers, expressions, writing and solving equations and inequalities, ratios, rates, proportions and percents. Students who successfully complete this course will be prepared for Honors Math 7 and on track for placement into Algebra I as 8th graders.
To successfully master the skills outlined in the Alabama 6th Grade Math Course of Study. Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for Math 7.
Classroom Rules and Procedures:
- Enter with a growth mindset for learning.
- Be in your seat when the tardy bell rings.
- Bring any and all texts, homework, and working materials with you.
- Treat others as you want to be treated.
- Food and drink are not allowed in classrooms. (Water in a closed container is permitted.)
- Behave in a manner conducive to learning for all.
- Show respect for yourself and others at all times.
- Follow all rules listed in the Madison City Schools Code of Conduct and the DMS Student Handbook.
- Conference with the student
- Parent contact
- Detention (for tardies only)
- Parent Conference
- Administrative Referral
Requests for accommodations for this course or any school event are welcomed from students and parents.
Concerning laptop utilization:
1. Student laptops should not be hard wired to the network or have print capabilities.
2. Use of discs, flash drives, jump drives, or other USB devices will not be allowed on Madison City computers.
3. Neither the teacher, nor the school is responsible for broken, stolen, or lost laptops.
4. Laptops and other electronic devices will be used at the individual discretion of the teacher.
Test grades will account for 60% of the 9-weeks grade, with the remaining 40% being determined by quizzes and performance tasks. The grading scale is as follows: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (65-69), and F (below 65). Grades will be a reflection of mastery of the standards. Make sure all absences are excused as class work can be made up and graded for excused absences only. The office must receive a note from your child within 3 days of the absence for the absence to be eligible to be excused.
Make-up Test Policy:
It is a student’s responsibility to meet with their teacher upon returning from an absence to discuss any make-up work and to schedule a time to make up any missed tests.
Homework will be posted on GOOGLE CLASSROOM
Use this code to access the page: 15636r
Big Ideas Math Accelerated (Green Book)
ISBN Number: 978-1608402267
Choose the Common Core 2014 curriculum
Materials and Supplies Needed:
- 3-Ring Binder with paper or spiral notebook
- Dry Erase Marker and Eraser
Unit 1: Numerical expressions and factors
Unit 2: Fractions and decimals
Unit 3: Algebraic expressions and properties
Unit 4: Areas of polygons
Unit 5: Ratios and rates
Unit 6: Integers and the coordinate plane
Unit 7: Equations and inequalities
Unit 8: Quantitative relationships
Unit 9: Surface area and volume
Unit 10: Statistical measures
Unit 11: Data displays
Unit 1 (7th grade): Proportions
Unit 2 (7th grade): Integers
Unit 3 (7th grade): 2-step Equations and Inequalities