7TH GRADE HONORS MATH
Discovery Middle School
1304 Hughes Road
Madison, AL 35758
This course is designed for students who desire the opportunity to take Algebra I in the 8th grade. Students will be taught the 7th and 8th grade math standards throughout the course. Concepts will include, but are not limited to, rational number operations, laws of exponents, multi-step equations, algebraic expressions, slope-intercept form, linear functions, Pythagorean Theorem, measurement, irregular and composite plane figures, data collection and analysis, and experimental and theoretical probability. Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for placement into Algebra I as 8th graders. Therefore, we are implementing a mastery approach, meaning students are expected to demonstrate at least an 80% on each indicator. (Unit test are made up of 3 to 5 indicators/skills)
To successfully master the skills outlined in the Alabama 7th Grade Math Course of Study. Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for Math 8.
Classroom Rules and Procedures:
- Enter with a growth mindset for learning.
- Be in your seat when the tardy bell rings.
- Bring any and all texts, homework, and working materials with you.
- Treat others as you want to be treated.
- Food and drink are not allowed in classrooms. (Water in a closed container is permitted.)
- Behave in a manner conducive to learning for all.
- Show respect for yourself and others at all times.
- Follow all rules listed in the Madison City Schools Code of Conduct and the DMS Student Handbook.
- Conference with the student
- Parent contact – by phone or email
- Parent Conference
- Administrative Referral
Requests for accommodations for this course or any school event are welcomed from students and parents.
Concerning laptop utilization:
1. Student laptops should not be hard wired to the network or have print capabilities.
2. Use of discs, flash drives, jump drives, or other USB devices will not be allowed on Madison City computers.
3. Neither the teacher, nor the school is responsible for broken, stolen, or lost laptops.
4. Laptops and other electronic devices will be used at the individual discretion of the teacher.
Test grades will account for 60% of the 9-weeks grade, with the remaining 40% being determined by quiz/CDC/daily grades. The grading scale is as follows: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (65-69), and F (below 65). Grades will be a reflection of mastery of the standards. Make sure all absences are excused as class work can be made up and graded for excused absences only. The office must receive a note from your child within 3 days of the absence for the absence to be eligible to be excused.
Make-up Test Policy:
It is a student’s responsibility to meet with their teacher upon returning from an absence to discuss any make-up work and to schedule a time to make up any missed tests.
Big Ideas Math (Blue Book - 8th Grade Skills)
ISBN Number: 978-1-60840-228-1
Online access: https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?level=9.00
- Click on “Choose a Program” and select Common Core.
- Select the Blue or Red Big Ideas Math Accelerated Book.
Big Ideas Math Accelerated (Red Book - 7th Grade Skills)
ISBN Number: 978-1-60840-299-1
Online access: https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?level=8.50
Materials and Supplies Needed:
- 2” 3-Ring Binder with paper or 1 5-subject notebook
- Calculator (Scientific or 4-Function)
- Pink, Yellow, and Green Highlighters (turn in to teacher)
- Pencils and pencil sharpener
- Graph Paper (turn in to teacher)
Unit 1: Writing & Solving Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities
Unit 2: Probability
Unit 3: Finding Slope and Graphing Linear Equations in Slope-Intercept Form
Unit 4: Writing & Graphing Various Forms of Linear Equations
Unit 5: Statistics
Unit 6: Functions
Unit 7: Angles, Triangles, Polygons, and 3D Cross Sections
Unit 8: Circles and Surface Area & Volume of 3D Solids
Unit 9: Transformations
Unit 10: Systems of Equations
Unit 11: Square/Cube Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem
Unit 12: Exponents and Scientific Notation