Discovery Middle School

    1304 Hughes Road

    Madison, AL 35758



    Kristen Barofsky

    Julie Goldston
    Melissa Grayson

    Hyacinth Irons

    Joy Orton

    Jacqueline Willis 



        Class Webpage:   

                     Google Classroom:









                                            Code: a1uiq3f


    Phone Numbers:                




    Course Description:

    This course is designed for students who desire the opportunity to take Algebra I in the 8th grade. Students will be taught the 7th and 8th grade math standards throughout the course. Concepts will include, but are not limited to, rational number operations, laws of exponents, multi-step equations, algebraic expressions, slope-intercept form, linear functions, Pythagorean Theorem, measurement, irregular and composite plane figures, data collection and analysis, and experimental and theoretical probability. Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for placement into Algebra I as 8th graders.  Therefore, we are implementing a mastery approach, meaning students are expected to demonstrate at least an 80% on each indicator. (Unit test are made up of 3 to 5 indicators/skills) 


    Course Objectives:

    To successfully master the skills outlined in the Alabama 7th Grade Math Course of Study.  Students successfully completing this course will be prepared for Math 8. 


    Classroom Expectations:

    Classroom Rules and Procedures:  


    1. Enter with a growth mindset for learning.
    2. Be in your seat when the tardy bell rings.
    3. Bring any and all texts, homework, and working materials with you.
    4. Treat others as you want to be treated.
    5. Food and drink are not allowed in classrooms.  (Water in a closed container is permitted.) 
    6. Behave in a manner conducive to learning for all.
    7. Show respect for yourself and others at all times.
    8. Follow all rules listed in the Madison City Schools Code of Conduct and the DMS Student Handbook.

    Possible Consequences:

    1. Conference with the student
    2. Parent contact – by phone or email
    3. Detention 
    4. Parent Conference
    5. Administrative Referral 

    Requests for accommodations for this course or any school event are welcomed from students and parents.

    Concerning laptop utilization:

    1. Student laptops should not be hard wired to the network or have print capabilities.

    2. Use of discs, flash drives, jump drives, or other USB devices will not be allowed on Madison City computers.

    3. Neither the teacher, nor the school is responsible for broken, stolen, or lost laptops.  

    4. Laptops and other electronic devices will be used at the individual discretion of the teacher.  


    Grading Policy:

    Test grades will account for 60% of the 9-weeks grade, with the remaining 40% being determined by quiz/CDC/daily grades.  The grading scale is as follows: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (65-69), and F (below 65). Grades will be a reflection of mastery of the standards.  Make sure all absences are excused as class work can be made up and graded for excused absences only. The office must receive a note from your child within 3 days of the absence for the absence to be eligible to be excused.


    Make-up Test Policy:

    It is a student’s responsibility to meet with their teacher upon returning from an absence to discuss any make-up work and to schedule a time to make up any missed tests.



    Big Ideas Math (Blue Book - 8th Grade Skills)

    ISBN Number:  978-1-60840-228-1

    Online access: https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?level=9.00

    • Click on “Choose a Program” and select Common Core.
    • Select the Blue or Red Big Ideas Math Accelerated Book.

    Big Ideas Math Accelerated (Red Book - 7th Grade Skills)

    ISBN Number: 978-1-60840-299-1

    Online access: https://bim.easyaccessmaterials.com/index.php?level=8.50


    Materials and Supplies Needed:

    1. 2” 3-Ring Binder with paper or 1 5-subject notebook
    2. Calculator (Scientific or 4-Function)
    3. Protractor
    4. Pink, Yellow, and Green Highlighters (turn in to teacher)
    5. Pencils and pencil sharpener
    6. Graph Paper (turn in to teacher)


    Course Outline:

    Unit 1: Writing & Solving Expressions, Equations, and Inequalities

    Unit 2: Probability

    Unit 3: Finding Slope and Graphing Linear Equations in Slope-Intercept Form

    Unit 4: Writing & Graphing Various Forms of Linear Equations

    Unit 5: Statistics

    Unit 6: Functions 

    Unit 7: Angles, Triangles, Polygons, and 3D Cross Sections

    Unit 8: Circles and Surface Area & Volume of 3D Solids

    Unit 9: Transformations 

    Unit 10: Systems of Equations

    Unit 11: Square/Cube Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem

    Unit 12: Exponents and Scientific Notation