8th Grade Physical Science Course Syllabus
Teacher: Mr. Putman Room # 117
School Phone: 256-837-3735
This course focuses on physical science. The scientific process is used throughout the year with students developing laboratory skills and techniques through discovery-oriented experiments. The curriculum includes the study of atoms and bonding, chemical reactions, Newton’s laws of motion, potential and kinetic energy, and mechanical and electromagnetic waves. The focus of this course is designed to prepare students for the physics and chemistry courses taken in high school.
Additional information for this course can be found on the Alabama Department of education website: https://alex.state.al.us/standardAll.php?grade=8&subject=SC2015&ccode=PS8&summary=2
Students in eighth grade exhibit a wide range of learning styles and intellectual abilities. This diversity in development requires the implementation of a science curriculum that engages students in scientific inquiry. The classroom environment must provide opportunities for students to identify problems, ask questions, make observations, design solutions, and explore important scientific concepts through investigations. As students’ curiosity and creativity flourish, teachers must design activities that encourage students to construct explanations based upon their own experiences and to use their creative abilities to devise solutions to real-world problems. Students engage in higher-level, abstract-thinking processes as they make connections between and among disciplines and become well-grounded in experiences. Students work in a variety of groups that foster collaboration among peers.
Grade 8 content standards are based upon the disciplinary core ideas in the Physical Science domain. The first core idea, Matter and Its Interactions, concentrates on the composition and properties of matter. The second core idea, Motion and Stability: Forces and Interactions, focuses on examining forces and predicting and developing explanations for changes in motion. The third core idea, Energy, involves the conservation of energy, energy transformations, and applications of energy to everyday life. The final core idea, Waves and Their Applications in Technologies for Information Transfer, examines types and properties of waves and the use of waves in communication devices. Integrated into the Physical Science content standards are the disciplinary core ideas of the Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science (ETS) domain, which require students to employ tools and materials to solve problems and to use representations to convey various design solutions.
- Give full attention to the person addressing the class. (teacher, student, intercom, etc…)
- Be respectful towards one another
- No food or drinks in class
- Use Cell phones for classroom purposes at the appropriate times
Requests for accommodations for this course or any school event are welcomed from students and parents.
Concerning laptop utilization:
1. Student laptops should not be hard wired to the network or have print capabilities.
2. Use of discs, flash drives, jump drives, or other USB devices will not be allowed on Madison City computers.
3. Neither the teacher, nor the school is responsible for broken, stolen, or lost laptops.
4. Laptops and other electronic devices will be used at the individual discretion of the teacher.
Test grades will account for 60% of the 9-weeks grade, with the remaining 40% being determined by quiz/daily grades. The grading scale is as follows: A (90-100), B (80-89), C (70-79), D (65-69), and F (below 65). Grades will be a reflection of mastery of the standards. Make sure all absences are excused as class work can be made up and graded for excused absences only. Tests are on Tuesday and Thursdays for Science this year.
Make-up Test Policy:
It is the responsibility of the student to check with the teacher and complete any work missed because of an absence from class. There is not a specific day that student’s makeup tests, so it will be the responsibility of the student to set up a date and time to makeup the test. The test will be recorded as a 0 until it has been made up.
McGraw Hill Education “Physical Science” grade 8
ISBN #: 978-0-02-137637-7
Materials and Supplies Needed:
- Students will need, science notebook, pen (or preferable a pencil), and textbook
Unit 1. Introduction to Scientific Problem Solving
Unit 2. Properties of Matter
- States of Matter
- The Atom & Periodic Table
- Elements, Compounds and Mixtures
- Chemical Bonding
Unit 3. Interactions of Matter
- Chemical Reactions
- Acids, bases and pH
- Carbon chemistry
- Atomic energy
Unit 4. Motion & Work
- Describing motion
- Newton’s Laws
- Work and Power
Unit 5. Fluids & Energy
- Forces and Fluids
- Energy and Energy Resources
- Waves, Electricity and Magnetism